My Current Everyday Makeup Routine – What I Use, Step by Step!
I started watching YouTube videos religiously during college after Kendall graduated and moved to a new city. I naturally had a lot more time on my hands, so watching beauty videos became a hobby for me! I would watch Jaclyn Hill, Kathleen Lights, Casey Holmes, Alex Garza, the list goes on. With any excess money I had, I’d head straight to Sephora or Ulta to buy a new foundation or bronzer or lipstick. I started collecting makeup and before I knew it I ended up with too much than I know what to do with! So with that said, I have tested a LOT of makeup. I’ve tried things I ended up hating and tried others that are now my holy grail staples, and I can’t wait to share them with you!
Before I started working full-time, I was the girl that was either in full-beat makeup or nothing – there was no in-between. After getting a job, I had to create a new routine that was 1) conducive to a work environment, 2) practical and quick, and 3) included drugstore items so that I wasn’t using up all of my nicer products too fast! So – this everyday makeup routine is what I’ve been doing for the past few years for things like work and church. My “night out” makeup routine is a lengthier process using higher-ended items! I’ll do a post on that routine soon, too. While some of my everyday products never change, others get switched out pretty regularly. But overall, this is my tried and true, go-to look/products! Enjoy! (PS – If I know of any dupes for the products I use, I’ve listed them below each category! If you’ve found a dupe that I haven’t listed, comment below! I’d love to hear your go-to everyday items!)
- Moisturizer and Eye Cream – I never start a makeup routine without moisturizing my face and under-eyes! I have loved this Belif Moisturizer and Belif Eye Cream for years now. Both products are super hydrating, but they dry pretty quickly and don’t leave you feeling greasy!
- Primer(s) – Call me crazy, but I have to use different primers for different purposes (even in my everyday routine). First, I apply my Touch in Sol No Pore-Blem Primer around my T-zone. I have large pores, so this helps prep my skin with a smooth canvas. Next, I apply the Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer all over my face. This one is great if you have dry skin! It helps prolong my makeup while also giving me a dewy finish. Finally (literally), I spray my face with my Smashbox Primer Water. I used to think this product was a gimmick, but as soon as I stopped using it I could tell a difference in the hydration of my skin. It’s great for all skintypes, so even if you’re oily I would recommend it!
- Dupe for Smashbox Primer Water – Mario Badescu Facial Spray
- Foundation – True Life: I’m a Foundation Junkie. There is no makeup product I love testing more than foundations! For my everyday routine, I wanted to make sure it was an inexpensive option so that I don’t have to continue re-buying an expensive one! For all you girls on the drier side, this L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation (shade 204) will rock your world. It has great coverage and doesn’t leave you feeling dry or cracked. They also have a matte version that’s just as good if you’re more oily! I apply this with a wet sponge for a flawless, luminous finish.
- Concealer – Okay, bet you saw this one coming. I’m one of those girls that lives, breathes, and dies by this Tarte Shape Tape Concealer (shade light medium). It really is as good as everyone says it is! It’s full-coverage without looking cakey. I apply this to my undereyes, the middle of my forehead, and down the bridge of my nose.
- Powder – I use the Hourglass Veil Translucent Powder to set my under-eyes and the rest of my face after foundation/concealer. Since I have dry skin, I need a powder that isn’t going to mattify my face too much while still setting down my cream products. This one does that job beautifully! It’s a splurge but well worth it!
- Contour and Bronzer – So at this point, my face is looking flat and lifeless. My favorite part of my makeup routine is adding color back into my complexion with contour and bronzer! I typically do a light contour with my Benefit Hoola Contour Powder (you can always leave this step out and just use a bronzer). This shade is perfect for me because it’s not too cool and not too warm to carve out the cheekbones and forehead with! Next, I buff in my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer (shade luminous bronze light) to really warm up my skin. I apply this to the same areas that I applied my contour (using less precision) This powder is so finely milled and will last you a lifetime. I’ve had it for so many years and you’d never know!
- Blush – I love how a good blush can bring so much color back into your skin. My favorite shades of blush are pinks and corals, and for my everyday look I stick with the Nars Blush (shade Madly). It’s a seashell pink, but the color in the pan does NOT do the color on the cheeks justice. It’s STUNNING, and by far my favorite blush of all time!
- Highlight – I have a few favorite highlights, but my current go-to for my everyday makeup look is the Anastasia Beverly Hills X Amrezy Highlighter. It’s a beautiful, universal shade, and I apply it to the top of my cheekbones, in between my eyebrows, and my cupid’s bow! Unfortunately this is a limited edition item and out of stock, but a dupe I’ve found is the Laura Geller Highlight in the shade Gilded Honey!
- Brows– I’ve never been the girl who spent much time on the brow area. I fill in the gaps, set them, and keep it moving. To fill in my brows, I use the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz (shade Blonde), and to set them I use the Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel. I’ve always heard great things about the NYX Micro Brow Pencil, so I’ll try that one once I’ve used up my Brow Wiz!
- Mascara – For an everyday look, I rarely wear eyeliner. I typically just stick to mascara! I’ve tried several high-end mascaras and ALWAYS come back to the Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara. It’s a wetter formula and leaves my lashes curled and voluminous (or as voluminous as my little ole lashes can look),
- Lips – My lip combo changes pretty frequently, but I always rock a nude! My recent everyday lip combo includes the MAC Lipliner (shade Oak), MAC Lipstick (shade Blankety), and the Maybelline Vivid Hot Lacquer Gloss (shade Tease). This combo has a pink undertone, but beware: the gloss is LIGHT. Apply it to the center of your lips just for dimension!
- Setting Spray – There are some days I remember this step and others that I forget it. But I do know that I end up liking my makeup more when I use it! This Farsali Rose Gold Skin Mist is so worth the price tag. It. Is. Beautiful. My skin GLOWS in the best way after using this! It’s definitely my holy grail setting spray.