LET’s TALK FALL food FAVORITES!
This week’s Tuesday Trio segment is covering one of my favorite topics: FOOD! Kendall and I get burnt out if we eat the same meals over and over, so we’re constantly on the hunt for more recipes to add to our repertoire. The combination of colder weather and darker evenings brings the urge to order out, so I figured it was the perfect time to share recipes that you can try yourself to help counteract that urge! I’m partnering with my friends Alexis Linssen and Carlyle Thornton to share our Favorite Fall Recipes, and I chose one that so many of us whip out as soon as the temps start dropping: CHILI! This chili recipe uses turkey instead of ground beef, and it’s one that Kendall and I have tweaked MANY times to make it as healthy yet tasty as possible. I’m so excited to finally share it with you!
+ Keep scrolling to see the link to the Sweet Jalapeno Cornbread recipe we started making with this chili – it is TO DIE FOR!
As a reminder, we shop our groceries for our weekly meals through the Instacart app! They’re delivered straight to our front door, and it allows us to get so much time back throughout our week. You can get $10 off your first order through this link: https://inst.cr/t/xTK53GVoK
Healthy Turkey Chili
- 2 lb. Jennie-O Ground Turkey (we use the 93% lean for more flavor, but if you want to make the recipe even leaner you can use 97 or 99% lean)
- 1 cup White Onion (diced)
- Jalapeno Pepper (finely chopped/diced – can be removed if you don’t like spicy foods)
- 29oz can Tomato Sauce
- 10-15oz can Diced Tomatoes We usually get regular diced tomatoes, but we decided to try it with green chiles for an extra kick this time!
- 1 can Chili Beans / Kidney Beans (drained)
- Cajun Seasoning & Pepper/Salt (for pre-cooking the turkey)
- 2-3 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional – to taste)
- Optional Toppings: Shredded Cheddar Cheese, (Light) Sour Cream, Avocado, Crackers
- HERE IS THE SWEET JALAPENO CORNBREAD RECIPE WE USE
- Plug in crockpot and set to low (4 or 6 hours depending on how much time you have – we prefer 6 but sometimes have to stick with 4)
- In a greased skillet, season ground turkey with Cajun seasoning + pepper/salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add diced onion (we dice our onion using this food chopper – such a time saver!) and diced jalapeno pepper to the skillet and continue cooking until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Drain the majority of the moisture from the skillet, and add the turkey/onion/jalapeno mixture to crockpot.
- Add all canned items to crockpot. (Make sure you drain the beans!)
- Add the rest of the seasonings/spices to crockpot.
- Mix everything together with a large spoon, then let it cook for 4-6 hours.
- Once the timer has expired, serve with your preferred toppings + this amazing cornbread recipe!